The Best Swaddle Blankets Of 2018 (You’ll Fall In Love With No. 1!)
There is something mysterious about how well swaddling soothes babies. In some cases, it makes a huge difference between our little ones having a good night’s sleep and a restless evening.
Once you have figured out how to do it properly, you’ll be astounded at how effectively it works. If you’re looking at using this ancient technique for your baby’s comfort, the first step is to get your hands on the best swaddle blankets available today.
How To Select The Right Swaddle Blanket
Shopping for a swaddling blanket isn't rocket science. There are four factors you need to consider to make sure you get the right one that will meet your baby’s needs.
The type of material the blanket is made of is crucial. Baby skin can be very sensitive, so you want to ensure you pick a material that won’t cause any irritation. High-quality blankets are usually made from cotton since cotton is lightweight, soft, and gentle to the skin.
Swaddle blankets are also available in polyester, wool, flannel, and muslin. Regardless of which type of material you choose, just make sure you’re aware of the pros and cons of each and that your baby is not allergic to the fabric you will eventually pick.
Size & Style
Swaddle blankets come in different styles. Modern versions usually have fasteners that allow you to wrap your baby quickly and more conveniently. They also don’t need to be wrapped around the infant several times.
Traditional ones, on the other hand, are smaller and are usually square in shape and need to be wrapped around the baby tightly using old techniques. Regarding of size, it’s also important to pick a blanket that’s just right for your child’s frame.
Pick a blanket that’s too small, and it’ll be too tight for your baby, making him fussy and cranky most of the time. Choose one that’s too large, and you’ll increase the chances of the loose parts covering his face and putting him at risk of suffocation.
Ease Of Use
Reduce the amount of time you need to spend swaddling your baby by picking a blanket that’s easy to wear. Opt for one that’s easy to wrap around your baby, but is well designed and doesn’t compromise safety.
Never skimp on the quality of your baby’s swaddle blanket just to save money. At the same time, don’t fall into the trap that because it’s expensive, it should be better quality-wise. To make sure you get the best quality for your money, always take the time to do some research, especially if you are buying the blanket online.
Additional Tips For First-Time Parents
- Lightweight blankets are usually more breathable and provide the best comfort for your baby.
- It’s a good idea only to swaddle your baby during sleep time to allow his hands and legs more freedom.
- For you to be on the safe side, it’s crucial that you know when to stop swaddling baby.
- Reduce the risk of hip dysplasia and other joint problems for your baby by learning modern swaddling techniques.
- Use a blanket with a secure closure system and won’t untangle quickly, because loose parts can be dangerous.
- Never swaddle your baby with two or more blankets at a time regardless of how cold it is outside. Find ways to control the temperature in your baby’s room instead.
- In choosing a swaddle blanket, keep in mind that velcro straps may scratch your baby’s skin.
- Consider the climate in the country you live in when shopping for a swaddle blanket. If you’re residing in a country that’s mostly cold throughout the year, for instance, you should pick a blanket that’s not too thin.
- Some fabric may shrink after washing. Always leave size allowance when choosing a blanket for your baby.
Top 5 Swaddle Blankets Of 2017
There’s a lot of swaddle blankets out there to choose from, and guess what? They’re not all the same! Some are simply better than others when it comes to design, style, ease of use, and overall quality. You don’t need to spend time looking for the right brand, though, because we already did that for you. Here are five of the best swaddle blankets of 2017 you can choose from for your adorable little one.
#5 BundleBee Baby Wrap/Swaddle/Blanket
|BundleBee Baby Wrap/Swaddle/Blanket,...||551 Reviews||$42.00||Buy on Amazon|
‘Cozy’ is the best word to describe this swaddling blanket by BundleBee. Its main takeaway is its ability to wrap in 10 seconds. It features a built-in natural coconut fiber cushion designed for efficient air circulation, moisture absorption, and proper back and neck support.
It is made from 100% cotton and offers head-to-toe protection, supposedly creating a mother’s womb effect by hugging the baby tightly while allowing natural arm and leg movement.
- Comes with feather light fillings that keep your baby cool in the summer and warm during the cold season.
- Has built-in cushion that protects baby’s back and neck when being carried.
- Features a sleeping-bag type blanket that’s thick and cozy.
- Can make the perfect baby shower gift due to its attractive design.
- Fillings may clump together, and velcro may not stick anymore after washing.
- May have a tendency to shrink over time.
|HALO SleepSack 100% Cotton Swaddle, Baby...||3045 Reviews||$22.99 from $16.57||Buy on Amazon|
The Halo SleepSack is a traditional swaddle blanket and transitional sack in one. It’s made of 100% cotton and can be used three ways to suit your baby’s sleeping needs.
It comes with adjustable fasteners for safety and for ensuring the perfect fit. It also features an inverted zipper for convenient diaper changes. To remind parents and caregivers to place baby on his back during sleep is a “back is best” embroidery at the upper left portion of the blanket.
- Made of 100% cotton that’s safe and gentle to baby’s skin.
- Features a sleeveless design that helps reduce the risk of overheating.
- Approved as “Hip Healthy” by the International Dysplasia Institute.
- Sleeveless design allows you to use it for weaning your baby from swaddling.
- The cotton material may be too warm for some babies.
Here’s a quick video showing a safe and easy way to swaddle using the Halo SleepSack:
|Summer Infant SwaddleMe Adjustable...||672 Reviews||$27.99 from $27.48||Buy on Amazon|
SwaddleMe believes there are four stages to swaddling, and the one they recommend for the 2nd stage is this adjustable infant wrap. It’s designed to create a womb-like environment for your baby and prevent the “moro” reflex. It comes with soft fabric wings that can be readjusted and fastened with hook and loop attachments. The leg pouch of the wrap also opens for easy diaper changes.
- The wrap is not as thick and does not need to be wrapped several times around the baby, minimizing the risk of overheating.
- It’s easy to put around the baby and requires less lifting, reducing the chances of waking baby up.
- Velcro fastener is secure and can really hold up the swaddle perfectly well.
- The fabric may be too thin and not provide enough warmth during colder months.
- It may be quick to outgrow due to the narrower spectrum of baby size it could fit.
|Miracle Blanket Swaddle, Blue||680 Reviews||$29.95 from $24.95||Buy on Amazon|
The miracle blanket works by combining light abdominal pressure and snug swaddling designed to soothe babies. It features a foot pouch that provides enough room for your baby to kick around. Perhaps what separates the miracle blanket from other swaddle blankets within its category are its triple patented arm flaps designed for babies who simply love to wriggle out of their blankets.
- Its triple patented arm flap design makes the blanket very easy to use.
- The no-velcro design minimizes the chances of your baby being scratched and awakened from sleep.
- The blanket aims to give just enough room for baby’s arms and legs to move, keeping him asleep through the night.
- Doesn’t double as an actual blanket.
- Seems to come in one size only and may be outgrown by your baby after just several uses.
|aden + anais Classic Swaddle Baby...||1421 Reviews||$49.95 from $39.95||Buy on Amazon|
Perhaps one of the most popular and most versatile swaddle blankets, this blanket from Aden + Anais can double as stroller cover, a nursing cover, a tummy time blanket, or even a burp cloth. It’s made of 100% cotton muslin and is gentle to your baby’s skin.
It’s also very breathable, minimizing the chances of your baby sweating and getting warm while sleeping. And, unlike most swaddle blankets, it’s a bit larger in size and is great for larger babies.
- A multi-use blanket that can really come in handy in certain situations such as when you’re in need of a nursing cover or a cover for your changing pad.
- Each blanket is relatively large at 47” x 47” and lets you wrap your baby without worrying about toes poking out.
- The fabric is incredibly soft and is very gentle and comfortable for baby.
- Each blanket comes in different prints, allowing you to choose from various designs depending on the mood.
- The high-quality fabric becomes softer the more you wash it.
- The fabric may be too thin, and although it would be ideal for preventing overheating, it may not be a good choice if you live in a place with a colder climate.
- Since the blanket is made of thin material, it may easily catch on a velcro strap or a zipper.
Considering the material, ease of use, size, style, and price of the blanket, the obvious winner from the list of top 5 swaddles is the Aden + Anais swaddle blanket. What made that clear is the blanket’s versatility, being able to work not only as a swaddle blanket, but also as a cover to provide shade, shelter, and protection.
Here’s a video showing six ways you can use this swaddle:
Final Tips On Shopping For The Perfect Swaddle Blanket
Always make sure you know who you’re getting the blanket from, especially when you’re buying online. See to it the you are familiar with the seller so that you can be confident that you’re going to receive a genuine blanket and not a fake one.
To be sure you’re getting the real thing, always compare prices and read reviews. More often than not, fake blankets would cost more than half the price of the original.
It’s also very crucial to read product reviews. Buyers will never think twice about sharing their shopping experience to help fellow parents. Read reviews and learn from other people’s experience before purchasing your first-ever swaddle blanket.
Finally, keep in mind that your baby is unique. Some babies like to be wrapped around like a taco, while some prefer having their arms out. Experiment and see what will work for your own baby.